Turnip 'Risotto' (Serves 4 as main course)
I've often thought that the turnip gets a bit a raw deal. This dish comes from Simple Italian Cooking by Mario Batali and turns this neglected vegetable into the star of the show.
500ml vegetable stock
90ml olive oil
1 medium red onion (finely diced)
700g turnips (peeled and diced into 4-5mm pieces)
30g unsalted butter
20g Parmesan (grated)
Small handful of parsley leaves
1. Heat the stock to a simmer and keep hot. Warm the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan. Toss in the onion and heat for about 10 minutes.
2. Add the turnips and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Ladle in some of the stock and cook until absorbed, stirring occasionally. Continue until the stock added (about 10-15 minutes).
4. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the butter and Parmesan.
5. Remove from heat, scatter with chopped parsley leaves and serve.