Norfolk Vinegar Cake
This is a local recipe for a simple fruit cake. There are no eggs as traditionally it was made when hens were not laying. It keeps of about a week and improves in flavour all the time.
225g butter (softened)
2 tbsps wine or cider vinegar
1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda mixed with 1 tbsp of milk
1. Rub the butter and flour together so that it resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Then mix in the sugar and the fruit.
3. Put the milk in a large bowl and add the vinegar. Pour in the bicarbonate/milk mixture carefully and mix together.
4. Pour into a greased 23cm (9 inch) cake tin,
5. Bake for 30 minutes at 180C. Reduce the heat to 150C and bake for another 1 1/4 hours. Cover the top of the cake with foil if it starts to darken.