Eve's Pudding (Serves 4)
There was a time when my daughter was continually bringing friends for tea. Many of them requested this pudding and I remember making this many times for groups of enthusiastic kids. Serve with custard or cream.
For the filling
500g cooking apples
1 tbsp of lemon juice
2 tbsp of water
2 tbsp caster sugar
For the topping
100g caster sugar
100g self-raising flour
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 tbsp boiling water
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Peel, core and chop the apples
3. Add the apples, lemon juice and water to saucepan. Stir and cook briskly for 5 minutes until apples are soft.
4. Add butter, caster sugar and stir.
5. Transfer to a gratin dish (900ml capacity one) and leave to cool.
6. For the topping, cream together butter and caster sugar.
7. Fold in the flour and egg in alternate spoonfuls. Be careful just to fold in rather than stirring.
8. Add spoonful of boiling water to the mix.
9. Spoon the mixture over the apples. Cook in over for about 30-35 minutes.