Thursday, 26 February 2015

Day 9

Date Slice (makes 16 slices)

I'm a big fan of date slices. I usually have it when we go out for tea and cake somewhere. I've managed to convince myself that it's also healthier than the other cake options. Here's the recipe that I use at home. I'm the only member of the family that actually likes date slice so I don't make it too often.

Ingredients

375g pitted dates
Grated zest of 1 lemon
200g self-raising wholemeal flour
150g butter (diced)
90g light muscovado sugar
150g porridge oats

Method

1. Place the dates in a saucepan with 200ml of water and the lemon zest. Bring to the boil and allow to bubble, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes until soft and thick. Set aside.

2. Mix together the flour, butter and sugar until you get a breadcrumb consistency and then stir in the oats.

3. Tip half of the flour mixture into a buttered tin (28cm x 18cm is ideal) and press down with a wooden spoon. Spread the date mixture all over and then sprinkle the remaining flour mixture.

4. Bake at 200 C for 20-25 minutes until golden on top. Cut into slices. Only remove from the tin when cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment