Five Nut Roast (Serves 4)
This is a staple dish in my household right throughout autumn and winter and is always used on Christmas Day as the vegetarians outnumber the ominivores. It's a rich and filling nut roast and is very easy to make.
250g mixed nuts
100g onion (finely chopped)
1 tin chopped tomatoes (drained)
100g cheddar cheese (grated)
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp Marmite mixed with 1 tsp of boiling water
1 tsp lemon juice
1. Put the nuts in a dry frying pan over a moderate heat. Toast gently until golden and fragrant. Put aside to cool.
2. Preheat the over to 180C. Generously grease a 2lb loaf tin.
3. Put nuts in a food processor and whizz until thoroughly ground.
4. Put the ground nuts in a large bowl and then add all the remaining ingerdients. Mix very thoroughly.
5. Scoop the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until firm and golden. Cool slightly and then turn out.