Raspberry Buns (makes 15)
This was a staple of my wife's grandmothers baking. It was the first thing I ate when I was introduced to the wider family of my wife. They are very simple to make and keep for several days. Apologies for the rather odd measurements and instructions. I had to convert the imperial used by Rachel's grandmother into metric and I had to copy down her hand-written (and very faded) recipe.
225g plain flour
1 level tsp. of baking powder
1 egg (beaten)
1. Rub together the margarine and flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Add the sugar and baking powder.
3. Mix with the beaten egg until it becomes a dough ball.
4. Roll out to about 1.5cm thick and cut out circles with a large cookie cutter.
5. Make a well in the centre of each circle of dough with a finger knuckle and put in some raspberry jam.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 200 degrees.
7. Leave to cool on a wire rack.